Blog Background

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Baby Girl Quilt

Hello all!

Here's a little baby quilt I made for a friend's baby shower recently.  I made up this little pattern myself.  I don't have any fancy quilting program, I draw it out "old-school."  :)  On graph paper.

This little sweetie quilt finished about 50x50.  Just the perfect size to snuggle with or to use as a play mat for the floor.  As she grows as could also use it as a first toddler bed quilt.  So many options! :)


Here's a quick picture of sewing the block together.  I sewed the top and bottom over the square first, then sewed on the side strips.  I laid them out on top of each other as I had it planned out on my design I wrote up.  I then kept them in this order the whole time, and stacked the rows as I went.


I added this next picture to show you how I lay out the quilt.. and to show you a semi-picture of the back.  I tape my quilt backing to the floor with masking/painters tape (whichever I have on hand).  then I sandwich the batting and lay down the quilt top.  I use pins to baste, but I don't have a picture of that.
 The backing fabric came from Joann's.  I found the cutest pennant fabric and a nice teal dot fabric that matched the colors of the front perfectly.

To quilt it, I did an echo quilting 1/4" around the insides and outsides of the boxes.  I also stitched straight lines in the borders to make the corners cross into a grid pattern.

So sorry this picture isn't the best of the finished quilt... I finished it late one night and snapped a quick picture before I wrapped it up to give away.  My friend (and the rest of the shower attendees) LOVED it.  So excited to bless her little one with this quilt.

Have fun!
Jenny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. I would love to know what you think!