Blog Background

Monday, September 8, 2014

Christmas Quilt 2014

Hello!

I have been around, don't worry! ;)  I actually have been working on lots of things behind the scenes here, I just don't always keep up posting.



I made this Christmas quilt top this year in August.  It came together rather quickly, the tedious part was cutting and chain piecing all the little dresdens.  It's a pattern from Gigi's Thimble.  (I added an extra row to the square quilt).   I've had this pattern a year or two and have been waiting for the perfect Christmas fabric, nothing too dark, and bright cheery reds and greens.  This fabric, Solstice by Kate Spain for Moda was just the perfect match.



I started early on this because I'm working on hand quilting this cute little guy.  The quilt will end up about 53X68.  I  nice lap size to snuggle with.  I've never hand quilted before and wanted to try it at least once.

I have one square completed and hand quilted.  I stitched a snowflake I bought a template) in the center of the dresdens and then holly (I made my own stencil) on the corners and swirls that connected the holly.

Snowflake in the center of this dresden
Here in the bottom right corner you can see a little peek of the quilted holly corner.  You can also see how I"m planning on quilting the borders.
I tried using a hoop, but I didn't like it.  Maybe my hoop was too large for me to handle, but I actually like quilting without a hoop, I feel like I can move it more easily and get exactly where I need to see.

I also made my own holly stencil with swirls for the 5 inch border.  I couldn't find anything I liked or that was big enough.  I like a challenge. :)






Last I LOVE the backing fabric- it looks a bit like a fern pattern with berries.  I made my own paper-piecing pattern for the Christmas trees.  I haven't made my own paper piecing pattern before either, that was fun!








Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. I would love to know what you think!